An electric bicycle is a regular bicycle equipped with an electric motor designed to make the ride more enjoyable.
Our bikes operate in three following modes:
- Pedal: The bike is ridden just like a normal bicycle, powered by the rider.
- Pedal-Assist: The onboard computer activates the motor when the pedals are turning, to assist the rider. This mode makes it easier to pedal up hills and against the wind or to go faster on flat ground. The rider can control the level of assistance received from the motor by adjustments to the display unit mounted on the handlebars.
- Throttle-Only: The rider simply twists the throttle to engage the motor and start moving (similar to the operation of a moped). No pedaling is needed when using the bike in this mode, making it great for taking a break without necessarily having to stop traveling.
Max Range on Charge: The Metropolitan, Metro XT, Crosstown, Mountaineer and Off-Roader can go 20 miles on a single charge. The Metro LT can ride for 12 miles on a single charge.
Max Range on Pedal Assist Mode: Using pedal assist mode, the Metropolitan, Metro XT, Crosstown and Off-Roader can go 38 miles mode on a single charge. The Mountaineer can ride for 35 miles and the Metro LT for 18 miles.
We recommend taking your bike to a local bike shop to keep up with the maintenance of your electric bike. We are more than happy to help you in this process. Below are some of our recommendations for regular cleaning and checks:
- Remove the battery box from the E-bike before carrying out regular cleaning.
- Avoid using water spray to clean the E-bike as the electrical and electronic systems may get wet, resulting in malfunction of the electric bike
- Delicately wipe any dirty painted or plastic parts with a soft, damp cloth and a neutral cleaning solution. Carefully dry the parts with a soft, dry cloth.
- Clean the battery contacts with a dry damp cloth.
- DO NOT grease or use a greasy cloth to wipe down the electrical connectors, brake pads, wheels, tires or plastic parts.
REGULAR CHECKS (EVERY 1-2 MONTHS)
- Check that the handlebar attachment and saddle post are correctly inserted and tightened.
- Check that the wheel hub mounting bolts and quick-release are correctly tightened.
- Check that the wheel rims are not cracked and that no spokes are loose or broken.
- Check that the tires have sufficient thread depth and not punctured.
- Check that the tires are correctly inflated.
- Check that the battery contacts are not dirty or oxidized.
- Check that the batteries are sufficiently charged.
- Check that the front and rear brakes brake effectively.
- Check that the cables are sufficiently greased, and that the brake pads are in good condition.
- Check that frame welds are in good condition and are free from corrosion or oxidation.
Below are our recommendations for steps to take after installation, and before the first ride.
BEFORE THE FIRST RIDE
- Please fully charge the battery before the first use.
- Please ensure that your E-bike is ready for use and is adjusted to fit your body, including:
- Setting the position and fixture of the seat and handlebar
- Checking the assembly and settings of the brakes
- Securing the wheels into the frame and fork
- Checking the tire pressure
- Checking that battery is properly secured
- Ensure that you know which lever operates which brake (right/left).
- Before you switch the system on, ensure that the battery is securely locked to the frame.
- The effectiveness of brakes can be different in wet conditions or on slippery surfaces. Please take into account the possibility of longer braking distances and slippery surfaces when riding.
- Practice operating and riding your E-bike in a quiet and safe place.
- Ensure that the wheels are securely fastened in the frame and fork. Check that the wheels and thru axles as well as all important nuts and bolts are secure.
- Push the wheels forward with the brakes pulled. The back brake should completely prevent the back wheel from moving, while the front brake should lift the back wheel off the ground with its braking effect. The E-bike’s steering should not rattle under braking or exhibit any play.
- Check the air pressure in the tires. You will find instructions as to the correct tire pressures on the sides of the tires. Please adhere to the required minimum and maximum pressure. As a general rule of thumb, e.g. on a ride, you can check the tire pressure as follows: If you place your thumb on a pumped-up tire, you should not be able to significantly change its shape by applying pressure.
- Check the tires and rims. Scan them for any damage, cracks or deformations, as well as embedded particles, e.g. shards of glass or sharp stones.
- If you should find any cuts, rips or holes in the tires, please refrain from riding. First have your E-bike checked over by qualified E-bike mechanics.
Each battery can get approximately 1000 uses/charges. Metro XT has replaceable batteries available to replace the original battery. In order to increase the life of your battery, avoid overcharging and riding downhill on a full charged battery. Doing so could affect the life span of the battery. You can achieve the best possible performance and lifespan of your battery by charging on a regular basis and using it within the recommended temperature range. The battery has almost no memory effect thanks to the Li-ion technology.
Leaving a fully discharged battery for a long time will lead to permanent loose of function. Please recharge an empty battery as soon as you have a chance to. If storing the battery for an extended period, we recommend recharging at least up to ¾ (4 diodes full) at least every 30 days to avoid damage to the battery. A dead battery due to not charging the battery is not a warranty claim.
How powerful is the motor? Most electric bike motors fall somewhere in the range of 250-500 watts, with some even going up to 750 watts. In general, if you’re riding in an area that doesn’t have many steep hills, (over 25° incline) a 250 watt motor should be more than enough to give you a great riding experience. If you do plan on riding up steep hills, a motor of 350 watts or better will give you that extra torque you need. The Crosstown is a great example of a bike with 350 watts to help conquer steeper hills.
What type of electric assistance does the bike provide?
It depends on whether the or not the bike has full throttle. If you want to ride without any pedaling, make sure your bike has throttle assist, like the Off-Roader.
What is the bike’s maximum speed? For the most part, the maximum speed an electric bike can legally go with motor assistance is 20mph. However, there are many electric bikes of varying speeds. For example, the Metro XT can travel up to 20mph, which consumers find to be the most convenient and helpful in allowing them to run errands, complete their commute, or to go from point A to point B as quickly and efficiently as possible.
What type of battery does the e-bike come with? Currently, lithium batteries are the lightest, most-efficient, best batteries to use on electric bikes, so be sure the e-bike you’re looking at uses a high-quality rechargeable lithium battery.
What is the battery’s range? Many factors cam effect the range of the electric bike such as using full throttle vs pedal assist, going up many hills, or even the terrain you are riding on. With our Mountaineer bike you can reavh 35 miles on a single charge. This is great when traveling multiple places with short distances, as you do not have to worry about recharging your battery along the way.
What kind of warranty does the e-bike come with? One of the great things about electric bikes is that most repairs can be done quite easily at a local bike shop, as electric bikes mimic regular bicycles, and use many of the same parts. However, e-bikes do have some unique components and it’s a good idea to buy from a company that stands behind their product. Our Genesis products come with a comprehensive 6 month warranty, just in case anything does go wrong.
What other post-purchase support does the e-bike include? You will want to look for a company that offers extensive post purchase customer service. Before investing in your e-bike you should have a sense of comfort in the kind of post purchase support the retailer provides. We suggest calling or emailing the company prior to purchase to see the type of response you receive.
Electric bikes have proven to be incredibly efficient, convenient and fun vehicle for leisure rides, daily commutes and weekly errands, and have become widely available to consumers in the US. With the wide array of purchasing options currently available, it’s important to know how to navigate the ever-expanding e-bike marketplace. By using the questions above to guide the conversations you have with e-bike retailers, you put yourself well on the road to finding the perfect electric bike.